Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Staycation Vacation - Fredericton, NB

Summer vacation is always a fun time.  Usually there are trips all over, exploring new places and enjoying new sights.  This year, we decided we would have a staycation!  Of course it was sort of decided for us as we gifted ourselves with new windows and siding this year!!  So staycataion it was!!

My oldest son Liam told me after he had to get ready for yet another parents day (Father's day this time!!) that he wanted a kid's day!  I promptly told him that other than mother's day and father's day those other 363 days are really kids days! 

However, then he moved on to family day!  That I could get down with!  So our entire vacation was labelled by my five year old as family fun days.  I loved it!

Joel and I started out staycation vacation with a date night.  Golfing and supper sans children...more on that in another post!

We have the wonderful opportunity to use my brother's cottage that is about 20 mins from our house since he lives in Ontario!  It's very kind of him and his family.  Our staycation started with two days at the cottage, the city was a humid place to be but the lake was magical!!


Visiting with my friend Beth (check out her blog) and her family came to play.

Then Joel's family (some of them) came to play the next day.  We had lots of fun in the sun!



A day at the camp is always a good time!

After two full days in the sun, we decided to watch Despicable Me 2, it was so funny and I love to hear my little men giggling!!!!  I also giggled a little (or maybe a lot!!)



Then while the monkey's had a nap, I picked some strawberries because I love strawberry jam!!!


Perhaps another post for the strawberry jam, it's so easy and results in delicious jam all year!!


Tuesday we headed out to explore our downtown of Fredericton, New Brunswick!!


We started at Cora's for some waffles!     Next stop was Science East!
 
 

 
 
After a little break on a park bench
 


Since we rarely get the to library we thought we would venture in, we read some books, found some great readers for Liam to practice with and played!

To get the main course of our outside picnic (which was mandatory for family fun days!) in the park we walked to Jack's Pizza!  Yummy pizza by the slice!

 
We rounded out our tour of downtown with a picnic in Officer Square to enjoy the Calithumpians entertain us with a story about our beloved Queen Street!!



 
Wednesday of Family Fun week was a trip to the water park at Hartt Island Campground~  We added my niece in the mix for some added fun.  It's a simply little water park but the kids love it and it's easy to keep an eye on them!  Although I was forced to go down the covered water slide (which I hate) because my niece asked me so nicely to go.  I couldn't say no!
 

Thursday was our "rainy" day as Liam was patiently waiting for a rainy day to go to Kingswood Entertainment Park.  Where we play in the play climber, air hockey, arcade games!!  Always a fun time. 

Then they went to their favourite place......Nanny and Yaya's house!! 

Friday was our last weekday for family fun!!!  So we packed up a picnic and drove to St. Andrew's, NB (about 1 1/2 hrs away)

We collected sea shells



Explored a light house, played in the coolest park around and visited a candy store (always a favourite stop!!)


Before heading home we went to the St. Andrew's aquarium to touch some sea creatures!  I take pictures, they touch!!!





The weekend rounded out with Joel and Liam going to Hartland to pick up our wonderful babysitter for the night Kelsi!!  While Rhys and I had a date for market and errands!

Sunday we relaxed!

All in all it was a wonderful family staycation.  Normally we go away and have to pack up, drive, settle into a hotel or trailer and then pack up and drive back home.  This time we relaxed at our own home in between activities, saved money and remembered why we love this city!!   It was fantasic!

I love to explore new places but sometimes it's nice to just stay home!

What are your vacation plans?  Staycation?  Big family trip?  Romantic little getaway?




No comments:

Post a Comment